Tuesday, January 21, 2014

[week one] towpath half marathon training

I'm relatively new to the running world, but have always found a lot of my inspiration from running blogs. Despite spending a lot of time making training plans, my follow through leaves a bit to be desired. I have some time goals this year, and while they might be a little big and hairy, I would love to see what I can accomplish with some good old fashioned hard work. 

Monday: 1 mile warm-up, 6 x 400 @ 1:50 with 1:50 rest, 1 mile cool-down. I have never really done speedwork, but since it seems to be the way you get faster, this training plan involves weekly speedwork. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I felt great afterwards. Things really step up this week though, and I have to admit that I am very nervous! 



Tuesday: 2.5 miles @ 10:52. Went on a run around the neighborhood with my dog, Abby. She loved it, and I was dragging a little bit. I followed it up with an evening Thai Yoga/Vinyasa class with one of my good friends. We both agreed that although the class was challenging, we basically both just wanted a Thai Yoga Massage... 

Wednesday: 3 mile tempo @ 9:09. Eesh, this was a doozy. The plan called for one mile warm-up, 3 miles at my goal race pace of 9:07, and one mile cool-down. I made it through with tempo miles of 9:09, 9:08, and 9:07, but with a whole lot of stopping. This made me very concerned that my 2:00 half marathon goal is a little out of reach, but I will wait a couple more weeks before reevaluating that. I haven't been running seriously for a while, so hopefully my fitness will pick up. I ended up covering 5 miles with an average pace of 9:41. 



Later that night I went to a spin class at this wonderful new place, Harness Cycle in Ohio City. I've gone to a few classes there, and while I have liked all of them, this Wednesday night class with Danielle was amazing. I was expecting to be seriously dragging after that tempo run, and would have canceled except that I couldn't get my money back that late. However, Danielle hit us with an awesome 90s mix, and I found it to be one of my best classes yet! 

Thursday: rest! 

Friday: 2.5 easy miles with B and the dogs on the towpath. The weather was pretty crappy, but it is still always nice to get out of the house with the dogs. 

I wish it was still warm enough for shorts! Just had to throw in a picture of my fave running partner!


Saturday: Unplanned rest day. I had 4 miles at a long run pace on the books, but ended up just having a very lazy weekend. Hopefully this week will be better! 

Sunday: Rest. I considered making up the long run, but my cozy couch got the best of me. 

Here's what's on deck for this week: 

Monday - spin 
Tuesday - speedwork. 12x400s - yikes! 
Wednesday - easy run 
Thursday - 4 mile tempo 
Friday - easy run 
Saturday - 4 mile long run 
Sunday - rest 

There's a cold front in Cleveland right now, and I still haven't found a treadmill to use, so I'm going to have to dig deep! 

Any suggestions for motivation for winter running?? I seem to do okay in the teens, but with the single digit forecasts this week, its going to be tough! 


4 comments:

  1. I'm training for a half marathon and run with my dog, too! I hope you're able to get in some good training next week even with the cold temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I'm going to try my hardest to keep on getting out there. Dogs are the best training partners! My only problem is its taking more and more to tire the girl out!

      Delete
  2. You're an animal, I'm so impressed! But I'm going to have to request a follow up post about your lazy Saturday and Sunday which just sound far cozier and more delightful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks, Alla! My lazy weekend was much cozier and more delightful. It involved going out two whole nights in a row - wild and crazy over here!

      Delete